Using the data recorded in AURA’s results database, the following information about Australian Ultra Running races was compiled.
- There were a total of 140 individual races recorded during 2017:
- 111 were distance based,
- 29 were timed
- Of the 140 individual races 105 were listed by AURA.
- Broken down by state:
- VIC: 41
- QLD: 30
- WA: 22
- NSW: 21
- SA: 14
- ACT: 6
- TAS: 5
- NT: 1
- There were a total of 9,018 individual performances, of which 2,986 (33%) were by women
- There were 6,467 unique people who participated, of which 2,185 (34%) were women
- Participation by distance:
- under 60km: 5,845
- 60km-85km: 704
- 85km-105km: 1,959
- 105km-180km: 371
- 180km+: 139
- A total of 631,189km was covered in these races , 200,095km ( 32%) by women.
- The longest individual distances were run by Mick Thwaites (404.560km) and Susan Keith (316.077km) in the Canberra 48h
- The longest individual completion times were by Zoe van Middeldyk and Christopher MacLean in the GSER 100mi
- The further distance covered over multiple races was by Kevin Muller (1647.204km) and Cheryl Symons (1362.523km).
- The most time spent participating over multiple races was by Cheryl Symons (8d:15h:4m) and Kevin Muller (8d:1h:31m)